Saturday, October 21, 2006

A Killer Profile

As many of you know, I'm working for a food distribution company until we get the coffee shop open. This week, I was making a delivery to a school in Lancaster County, PA. As I was making the delivery, a woman continued to lock me out of the school. She told me they weren't allowed to keep a door unlocked or open in light of the Amish school killing. I can't blame her. After all, I do fit the profile.

The Amish school shooter was a father of three in his mid-thirties who made deliveries in central PA. Right now, at least, that's me. In fact, I was in Lancaster County the Friday before the shooting. It so happened I delivered some basic staples to an Amish store (with no electricity, of course) on the same road that the school was on. And since it was a difficult store to find (no sign out front), needless to say, this rookie driver spent a lot of time on that road.

It was a beautiful day. Weather was perfect. And the Amish were amazing. One girl was running through a cornfield with her hands outstretched, like something out of the Sound of Music. Two little boys in the back of a carriage pumped their fists up and down hoping I'd sound the air horn. But the memory that haunts me is the group of Amish girls I saw walking home from school that afternoon. There were about ten of them, and they were laughing and playing together as they walked. I've since wondered how many of those girls were in that school house that following Monday. I can't imagine they were walking home from any other school.

That day, the little stretch of road was the "middle of nowhere." In a few days, it would be the center of the nation's attention. That day, I was just a delivery driver. Now, I fit the profile of a terrible killer.

It kind of reminds me of why Jesus was so hated by the Pharisees. Before Jesus, they were the most righteous and moral people on the planet. After the sermon on the mount, they were adulterers and murderers. "You have heard it said, 'Do not murder...'; I tell you if that anyone who is angry with his brother is a murderer."

I guess there are two kinds of people whose sin gets exposed and revealed to all, and sinners whose sin stays hidden in the heart. It's truly amazing that God would love sinners like us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home