Wednesday, August 31, 2005

My first blog (too tired to get creative!)

If you had told me a year ago that one day I'd be posting a blog, I'd have been at a loss for words in one of the first times in my life. A blog? I must have heard that word 20 times before I figured out what it was. Even in context, the word "blog" makes no sense. Google (I don't need to explain that word do I?) tells me that "blog" is a shortened form of "weblog." Melt down all the fluff, and you basically have a public diary for one's random or not-so-random thoughts.

So far, this is what I'm thinking....

First... my blogs will be much less organized and structured than my normal "articles" I write. I pour over my articles, stress over the words I use, and make sure they are absolutely relevant to what's going on in the church or the culture. I will use this blog to just throw out my thoughts. They won't be on a schedule. Just when a thought strikes.

Second... I don't really expect anyone to read them, and I DON'T really want anyone critiquing them for "propriety." I realize that as a minister, people want their ministers to be "larger than life" and to live "above the people." I've worked hard to do that in my public roll. But the fact is, I do have feelings, I do have thoughts rambling around in my brain, and I do like expressing them... as they are. So... as I continue to do my best to maintian propriety in my public work, I will reserve my more candid side for this blog. So, if you don't want to see the "real" side of me, don't read any further.

Third... I'll be using this blog to help me personally "connect" with the emerging culture. What does that mean? Well, there are several things that describe the culture emerging around us. Authenticity... Purpose... Deep reflection... Community... I want to spend more time being immersed in this world. I'm attracted to this world. Unlike many of my colleagues, I don't fear or lament the emerging culture. I think it's ripe for all things spiritual, especially Christ centered spirituality. I long not just to know more about it, but to be a part of it. So, will a blog really make me "emerge?" Not entirely. But it's a good start!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your intentions sound very Christ-centered. He also longed to be among the people of this world. It was a high ransom He paid for us. I thank God for giving you the desires of your heart. To love a culture which is changing faster than any other in history. To remember that our goal is to be Christ-centered and Gospel-based in our intentions, word and deed. To continually remind and encourage us, as his disciples, to do the same is a calling you've been courageously undertaking for some time.
I pray He gives you endurance for the race. We must all persevere or the enemy will take more prisoners. The compassion we feel for the victims of Katrina can bring glory to God when we put it into action. The church has an opportunity to be His hands and feet right here in this country. We don't have to go anywhere, but our own backyard. The more we make our presence available in those areas, the more chances we have to impact their world for Christ. And these efforts will take years, not months.
I saw a lady offer her home in New York to a family who needed a safe dry place to stay. That's scary. That's not easy. That's outside of our comfort zone. That's who we are suppose to be. Different. Set apart. Arms outstretched, ready to embrace the weary and broken.
Dave, I lived in a luxury apartment while my house was being re-built at my specifications pretty much. At the financial expence of State Farm. Thanks be to God. I can't even begin to imagine what it feels like to wander the streets with small children in hand looking for my spouse, whom I don't even know is alive. I can't imagine being stranded on my roof top with my neighborhood flooded, not having a clue as to when I might be rescued. I can't imagine not knowing when my next meal, paycheck, time of rest, "whatever" will come. I can't imagine a state of looting, and complete civil unrest. I can't imagine living in a building with 20,000 other people that I had to leave with nowhere to go.
The hopelessness is there. Christ is our only hope. We humans have no other. I pray those who don't know that will come to understand that. I pray the Kingdom will increase and God will be glorified by the compassion that will be poured out on these people by us disciples. If they are to know we are Christians by our love, we have to SHOW them. Not just the love we have for each other, (which is imperfect) but the love Christ has for them. Thanks for letting me sound off, Dave. Peace be with you as you serve our Lord.

7:51 AM  
Blogger RevDave said...

Right on, barbara jo. This world is ripe for a hearing of the gospel. The gods of this world continue to fail us day after day. Blessed are the poor in spirit. They will see God. May that never be truer than today.

9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home